Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Keep moving!

I move a lot.
I am packing things up for our move and it makes me get all sentimental and I was thinking about all the different moves I have made through out my life. Some people like me move a lot and some stay in the same place for a long time. I don't know what it is like to live in the same place your whole life. My husband has lived in the same town for his whole life minus a brief time in Mississippi when he was five and two years spent on a mission in New Mexico. He lived and grew up in the same house. I on the other hand have been on the move since my parents first big move when I was 13 ever since then I have been moving every few years to every few months. It has taught me a few things about moving to a new place.


Here are my 8 tips to moving!

1. You have one chance to make a first impression so make it count!

2. Pack light. If you really don't use it you don't need to lug it around.

3. Use moving as a time to sort through your stuff.

4. Less things quicker move, faster unpacking.

5. Be quick to settle into your new place. If you move often you want to enjoy your new place for as long as you can so don't use that as an excuse to live out of boxes. Put up pictures and get everything just where you want it so you can begin to feel at home right away.

6. Try out the best of ____. Every town and area has things its known for. Maximize your stay by doing and trying what the area is known for. If you don't know use you resources see if your town has a visitors center, if you do go for a visit talk to the person working there ask for advice of what you should try and see there. If    there isn't a visitor center in your town ask new neighbors and also the internet is a great resource for information. Most towns have a website with information on what the town offers. 

7. Use sites like yelp.com and other restaurant review sites to help you know what restaurants to go to. Saves you from paying for a horrible meal and realizing oh that is why the parking lot is empty.
 If you don't have time to read reviews follow my rule of thumbs when picking a place to eat at go for the one that has plenty of cars in the lot at dinner rush hour. The more cars, the more popular and delish the place tends to be.

8. Don't forget to forward your mail. The post office has forwarding forms also available online here.

Well back to packing and unpacking I go!
Happy Staying and Happy Going! 

Love <3 Lace

No comments:

Post a Comment